Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We had a few firsts today! Joel went out at lunch time to find some food and bottled water (we cannot drink the tap water here). SO, I had both kids for an hour and a half, It was nice binding time, we played and laughed and talked - we repeat our names to her often (Me - MAMA, Joel - BABA, Nate - GUGAI (big brother).

Also, while Naomi napped this afternoon, I went out on my own to try and find a baby carrier or stroller for her as we are sight seeing tomorrow and Thursday. It was quite the adventure I must say!! I only went about 1 mile from the hotel. I was aiming for a department store, but stopped at a few along the way. SO many people walking around ALL the time, everyday. I DID see a lot of food vendors, men and women of all ages, dogs, 1 pregnant woman. I DID NOT see a single overweight person, anyone arguing, any car wrecks - amazingly enough, or any litter at all. VERY different from home in many ways. The department store was much like ours at home, complete with the latest fashions, sales, make-up, and shoes. I was not able to find a carrier that would fit her (SO wish we would have brought one suitable for a bigger baby), so I bought a little stroller. Yesterday she was not a fan of one, but we are sight seeing for hours tomorrow and we simply cannot carry her for that long.

This morning, after the adoption was complete, we had a seamstress come to our room and measure Naomi and I for traditional chinese dresses. I opted for a jacket, cause the ladies dresses had very high slits on the sides....we are way excited to see Naomi in hers!!!! Pics to come when the dress is compete. We also hope to visit a jade factory here in Wuhan. It is traditional for a mother to give her daughter a jade bracelet either in her teenage years or for her wedding, or for both. We hope to find some gifts for her for monumental moments in her life.

A few of you have asked about Naomi's specifics. Some things we have noticed:
•She can crawl, but prefers to stay close to us.
•She will go after a toy or ball if we go first.
•She can pull up a little bit, onto the bed.
•She is (as of today) responding to "Na-Na" - our nick name for her. If we say her name, she will turn and respond to us.
•She is VERY smart - we have played a few games with her that we play with Nate and she got them right!! Amazing.....
•She has a good appetite. She ate very well yesterday, but today has eaten less (we think she is tired).
•She takes a scalding hot bottle twice a day - morning and night. It has rice and milk powder in it. Today at the adoption, I asked the orphanage director if she would see why Naomi would not take her bottle this morning. She took one look and said not enough powder.....I had brought an extra bottle from home that she used to remake the bottle. She cut the nipple with scissors and added boiling water (from the tea maker) to the bottle. Naomi sucked it down.....I could barely hold the bottle it was so hot!!!

She adores Nate and Joel!! So sweet to watch her look for them. This morning she sucked on Joel's nose, it was cute....and this afternoon she leaned over and gave Nate a slobbery kiss on his mouth. I'd love to say Nate embraced her and laughed and LOVED it, but he got all grossed out and started yelling for her to stop. He also declared a spot in our small hotel room as a "no girls zone".....and the sibling rivalry has already started!!!

It's been a great day! Thankful for our outing tomorrow to the zoo. Nate has deserved something he wants to do.....love his heart, he has stepped aside in a major way to allow Naomi into our family....we are happy he gets a fun outing.

Off to eat some dinner - likely in the hotel tonight. Sometimes we venture out, but tonight I think we will stay in. We are ready to come home!!!! 9 days and counting.


more pics
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39679&l=39f7e&id=605614827

15 comment(s):

Love the vidoes...too precious. It's sweet hearing Nate already on the look-out for her and wanting to protect his lil sis. Glad to hear things are going so well...praise God!

Much Love, the Davis'

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:10 AM  

I can't believe I forgot to make you take the hip hammock I have - ugh.
Love the videos and the new pictures -- so, so cute.
Your official photo at the adoption office looks like it would be so good you could use it for your Christmas card. Way to multitask while in China :)

By Blogger Beth, at 7:35 AM  

I'm smilin' so much my face hurts every time I log on. Thank you for this beautiful window into your world right now. We are truly praising God. Give Nate and Naomi some big ol' smoochies from the Robsons. Ohhhh, what the hey . . . give yourselves a couple while your at it also. Love you Femwicks.

Bec

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 AM  

Once again she brings me such excitement and joy when I open my computer in the morning. I love that sweet smile. What an angel! Thanks for answering all the questions... I can't wait to hear about your big day sightseeing. I'll be praying that she gets in the stroller... for your backs sake!!

By Blogger Darby, at 7:50 AM  

Was she sitting on a potty??? Where do yo all sleep?? Tell us about the food. Are all the people nice--do they like Americons? Is it cold? Are things expensive ?Nate I love you more than 5000 panda bears

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 AM  

Glad to hear you had another great day. Naomi is just precious--what a beautiful smile! Isaac and I watched the video this morning with huge smiles on our face!! Thank you for sharing--continuing to send prayers!!

By Blogger The Eberle Family, at 8:28 AM  

LeeAnne,
Please give her the longest kiss for me. Tell her Andy and Julie love her.

By Blogger Julie Gould, at 9:08 AM  

Awesome post. Thanks for all the details! I love the videos too! Praying...

Eric and Kristi

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:09 AM  

What a great video! It's been so wonderful to follow along with your great adventure. Thanks for taking the time to upload the pictures and this video. We are so happy for you all! Congratulations! And best wishes for safe travel during the rest of your trip.

By Blogger Aimee Miller, at 11:02 AM  

Oh LeeLee! I have big tears! Thank you for letting us be a part of this special moment. I always cry when I see a man cry-so Joel added to my tears : ) In a happy, happy way! Can't wait to meet her. I have to say, the Lord woke me up Sunday night/Monday morning-right around 2:30 AM! I had a stomach ache that night, but when I woke up-I was like-OH MY GOSH! They are probably getting Naomi now. So I just went into prayer mode : ) We love you guys-and Nate is cracking me up.-love the Pryor's

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

What a great video - it seems like we're there with you guys! Hallie can't wait to meet her new friend and James and Isabel can give Nate some pointers on how to be a good big sibling for a 1 year old little sister (although it seems like he's doing just fine at it already!) We miss you guys and are praying for your safe return. The Daniels

By Blogger Daniel Family, at 5:04 PM  

Congrats Lee-Anne! I am so Happy for you and your family! Naomi is just simply beautiful! I ran into Andrea from Brown today and told her you were in China she was so happy for you!

I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Shannon
Mommy to Jack and Palmer

By Blogger Shannon, at 9:06 PM  

I am loving it! i think she is so beautiful, she looks just like Nate! Hollie

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

Funny how she likes those bottles so hot! Maybe that's an early sign she's going to like her food hot and spicy :)

By Blogger mtotte, at 10:50 PM  

This is too much!!!! On second thought, no. It is not too much. It is just BEAUTIFUL! Precisely the way God planned it! Thanks so much for sharing! We love it! Our thoughts and prayers are always with you! We Love Ya!!!!
Katie S.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home